What more can I do? In my quest to become self-employed I have used a range of strategies. The following are examples of what I have done:
- designed some business cards describing the writing services I offer and distributed them on notice boards and to friends and contacts
- emailed a range of community organisations offering my writing services
- emailed the editors of my local newspapers and offered to write for them on a part-time or regular basis
- emailed all the local printers and offered to proof-read and offer copy for their customers
- send a story off to a magazine – I got a nice reply but my story wasn’t suitable
- put an ad in the local paper – no response
- learnt how to advertise on Google – that was fun but no success in gaining business
- contacted my local college to see if there were any opportunities
- utilised my networks and passed on my resume to lots of people
- joined Seek
- joined LinkedIn
- set up a page on my blog related to my business ideas
- read several books: Facebook Marketing; Consulting, Contracting and Freelancing; Work from Home; Make a Real Living out of Freelance Writing; Magazine Article Writing; Style Manual; various books on grammar etc.
- practised writing by doing my blog as often as I can
- offered my skills to the local Member of Parliament’s Office
- offered my skills to my local council
- explored doing some more training
I acknowledge that I need to be patient and keep writing and keep trying. It is my dream to be able to be fully occupied working from home through using what skills I have in writing.
Perhaps I need to stand back, give everything a good shake and then re-look at where I am going and what I want to do.
Cheers for now and have a happy and safe Easter!