I was just thinking about employment, jobs, careers etc. For many of us they take up a big part of our lives.
Whether we like it or not, must of us need to work to support our families and lifestyle. I work part-time now and I am able to be more balanced about it. Tomorrow I will be in the job for six months – end of my probation period. I’d like to share some of my insight. Obviously it depends what line of work you are in, so I am reflecting on my own part-time job and full-time work I have done as a Public Sector Employee with the State Government.
- What seems like a really big deal at work probably isn’t really that important at all
- Don’t make it personal – it is a business contract
- Don’t go second guessing what people think of you
- Think before you speak and then think again – I get this one wrong sometimes!
- Your work colleagues are not necessarily your friends but be friendly with them
- Don’t share your secrets – you may live to regret it
- The place can and will manage without you
- Avoid gossip – this is hard when you want to feel like “one of the boys/or girls”
- Working really hard is rarely rewarded. I don’t mind working hard but I don’t expect to be rewarded for it – it is my choice
- There is usually at least one psychopath in the company somewhere – keep your distance and remember that the universe will deal with them one day 🙂
- Don’t underestimate your own ability compared to others – especially if they have formal qualifications and you don’t. Life experience is highly valuable.
- Consider very carefully before you put work as your number one priority. Look after yourself, family and friends first!
- Having a job helps you appreciate your free time much more.
- It is too easy to spend money when you have a job – it may not be there for ever so make sure you save some money while you can.
- If you are asked to do something and you feel you can’t do it, have a chat about it. Don’t say yes and then not do it.
- It is really important to listen – I find this one difficult as I am a bit of a daydreamer. Check back to insure you have all the information you need.
- If all else fails, keep your mouth closed and keep breathing – that will help you get through most things 🙂