One of the highlights of the trip was our visit to Charters Towers, just over 100kms west of Townsville. Charters Towers was once a big mining town and according to a local we met last week, there is still plenty of gold to be found.
I will include some photos. I was really surprised by one I took on the move (from the car) as I thought it was only of the vegetation. Somehow a McDonald’s sign can be seen at the side of the photo. I thought we had escaped into the outback but McDonald’s arrived there before me!
We had a great time. By the way, Charters Towers have a bakery that makes the best pasties I have eaten in a long time 🙂
- The sea at last!! – Townsville, Australia (travelpod.com)
- Home Hill & Macrossen Park (humeshighwayadventures.wordpress.com)
- Australia: Winter dengue cases persist in Townsville (crofsblogs.typepad.com)
- Wildlife Carers Meet in Townsville (blogs.abc.net.au)
- Should North Queensland become it’s own state? (blogs.abc.net.au)