My focus today is on Indigenous Australian culture. I lived in a remote Indigenous Community (Numbulwar, Northern Territory) and in Fitzroy Crossing in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. The woven basket is from Numbulwar. The featured book includes a story about The Brolga and the Emu told by Wingathana, who was my son’s school teacher in Grade 1 (1980) in Numbulwar.
The dot painting originated in Laverton in the Northern Goldfields region of Western Australia.
The egg is actually and Emu egg and it has the face of an Indigenous man etched on its surface. I am unsure where the artist was from.
I hope you enjoyed my choice this week for Culture :-). They are quite unique artifacts purchased from the maker and won’t be found in commercial outlets. They may not be as pretty as what is available in the souvenir shops however they are the real thing!
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Culture (photographworks.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Culture (nofixedplans5.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: culture (plaridel.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Culture (beijingcityphoto.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Culture (2far2shout.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Culture (livonne.com.au)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Culture (rolbos.wordpress.com)