I am talking about this blog – allaboutwordswa that I started four years ago today. I did a Google search on “how do I start a blog” and took it from there to here!
I received a Happy Fourth Anniversary from WordPress today. When I first started the blog I tried to write a post everyday and averaged about five times a week but lately I don’t write as often – not sure why.
I started other blogs during that time and my most recent It’s a Small World is focused on photos taken by my microscope (Supereyes) and I am having lots of fun with it.
I learned a few things from blogging during this time. Some thoughts follow …
- I have met so many amazing people from all over the world and developed some online friendships.
- My blog provides an avenue where I can think out loud – express my opinions or ask for input from others. It also reminds me of our common humanity.
- The skills I gained in using WordPress were really useful when I was studying online and using online tools earlier this year.
- My blog is evidence that I can string a few words together – I include it on my resume (sometimes) so that potential employers can see that I am computer literate and they can get a bit of an idea about who I am from my writing.
- I have another blog, Naturaliste Enterprises with my resume and work experience included.
- When I get really interested in a particular topic – this year it has been about Baby Boomers and retirement related issues – there is an opportunity to put all my thoughts in one place – yes – another blog! This one is called Encore Australia. I saw a lot about Encore Careers in the US and it motivated me to set up an Australian website in relation to these issues. I hope to do more work on this in 2015.
Along the way I have gratefully received over 3,000 comments from readers, had nearly 30,000 views and a total of 600+ have subscribed to read my blog. It is encouraging to get followers and to have people read my posts but I don’t allow that to drive my writing and input.
This is my opportunity to say thank you for reading my posts and I love it when you leave a comment that leads to a discussion and the ‘likes’ are much appreciated as well :-).