- news reporting
- feature writing
- creative writing
- novel writing – different genres
- short stories – different genres
- writer of children’s stories
- blogging – different themes and purposes
- technical, business and scientific writing
- personal journal writing
- copy-writing for websites or advertising/public relations
- policy writing for governments and other organisations
No doubt I have missed some types and styles of writing. I wonder how transferable the skills are between them. And what about the status or culture around the careers of such writers? Bloggers vs journalists for example? Are the boundaries shifting?
I have experimented with creative writing and loved it but find it really hard to access the creative part of my imagination/inner self.
I can write business reports and tenders and the like – I get some satisfaction out of doing a good job but they don’t excite me very much.
This week I enrolled in a five-week course to learn about feature writing for magazines and newspapers. I am enjoying it so far. The massive changes in writing practices will continue to evolve. Where will we be in ten years from now? Will we still have hard copy newspapers, I wonder?