A little book called “A Year of Creativity” by Brenda Mallon (Andrews McMeel Publishing) sits on my desk. A friend has lent it to me for ideas for the course I will be leading this term. It is rich with ideas and suggestions to explore. It is divided into twelve chapters and I thought I would share Chapter 5 (or Month 5 as the book calls it) titled Creative Enhancement.
There is a little questionnaire below (with my responses) from the chapter:
- Have you got fresh flowers in your home? NO
- Have you got any pictures hanging on your walls? YES
- Have you got any photographs in your room? YES
- Are you wearing clothes that delight you? NO but they are okay!
- Can you smell your favourite perfume? NO
- Have you got an inspirational book by your bed? NO but does a book on Stoicism count?
- Have you listened to any special music in the last 24 hours? NO
- How long is it since you went for a walk in the countryside or by the sea? TOO LONG since I live in the country and close to the beach.
- When was the last time your prepared yourself some special food? TODAY (some lovely fresh fish).
- Are the clothes you are wearing comfortable and pleasing to you? YES they are okay.
The writer goes on to say if we are not cherishing these things then our lives may be diminished. I need to take note and work on the areas where I didn’t fare too well.