Today I will respond to this writing prompt: “What do you do when you find yourself stuck?”
I have many strategies for becoming unstuck. Here are some of the ideas that I apply:
- I write in my journal and usually it becomes clearer as to why I am stuck on what I am stuck on!
- I reflect on the thoughts I had prior to becoming stuck – were they negative or self-critical?
- I might do a mind-map where I just randomly write down all the things that are happening in my life right now. I will try to go to the next level and see what is the most important or most stressful.
- After identifying any issues in the mind map I may do another sheet where I check whether the issues are really as important as first thought. I may come up with action points or clarifications.
- I try to change my location from one room to another or to go outside. Perhaps I will do something in the garden for a while.
- Sometimes I will get out the recipe book and find something interesting to cook.
- I check out my “to do” list and see if there is something small that I can tackle.
- I have some adult colouring-in books and these can be quite relaxing and help to free up my addled brain a little.