I want to point out to the world that people over 50 have a lot to offer. I want to point this out to all age groups but especially to people who are past 50 or thereabouts.
I get tired of hearing people talk about retirement. Retirement belongs to the previous generations – our parents and their parents (if they lived long enough). I am not suggesting that we keep working at a job we hate or find too difficult. I am saying that we need to pause and reflect on this phase of our lives. You may need to keep working at your job due to financial pressures but is there the capacity to reduce your hours?
Consider the following:
• Is there so much more you would like to be doing with your time?
• Do you have interests that you would like to pursue now but don’t have the time?
• This period of our lives (say 45 – 80ish) is likely to be very different than it was for our parents who were born before World War II
• If you are anticipating using your time to catching up on years of reading, and are happy to do that, then that is fine. Read no further!
• Maybe you want to spend more time with your grandchildren or are artistic and enjoy you leisure time in these pursuits and find them to be gratifying.
• Do you get up each morning and wonder what is the point of getting up as you did yesterday what you will do again today and the day after?
• Do you get irritable because the world seems to be run by young people – eg doctors, the media, some politicians that don’t look old enough to vote?
• Does your brain still function the way it used to, or is it even better now that you have abandoned a lot of the crap that came from working full-time and the office politics?
• Are you unsure of how to dress – you don’t want to be masquerading as a young person? How do you see yourself?
• Are you able to graciously profess your views without getting defensive when younger people see your views as obsolete?
• Consider how you plan to spend the next 20-30 years? Do you want to sit around getting old and immobile? If you are still actively involved in sport, then good for you!
• Is there a way we can collectively find a valuable place in society that breaks the common stereotypes of the over fifties?
• Does social media provide us with an avenue to express ourselves and perhaps help others at the same time?
• How would you feel about using some of your skills or developing new skills to assist the community to improve health, education and environmental outcomes?
• How would you feel about gaining your community’s respect and gratitude for the use of these skills?
• Would you be prepared to work for a nominal amount that Not For Profits could afford?
• Can you see the difference between this idea and the tremendous work that thousands of volunteers already do each day in Australia (and other parts of the world)?
• Can you make sense of all of the above and are excited about contributing ideas on how we can change this concept into reality?
If you would like to get more involved with me on this project you can email me on email@example.com
Thanks for reading🙂